Suspension or revocation of a Victorian Registered Aboriginal Party

Registration of Registered Aboriginal Parties can be suspended or revoked under some circumstances.

Suspension or revocation of a Registered Aboriginal Party

The registration of a Registered Aboriginal Party (RAP) can be suspended or revoked if they fail to act in good faith to:

  • consider or advise on applications for cultural heritage permits
  • evaluate cultural heritage management plans
  • perform a cultural heritage agreement
  • undertake its functions and powers under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006
  • perform the conditions placed on them by the Council.

RAPs may also request Council to suspend or revoke their registration.

A RAP will receive 28 days' notice of Council's proposal to suspend or revoke its registration in the above instances and will have an opportunity to respond.

 A RAP may appeal the suspension or revocation through the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Revocation of RAP registration

The registration of a RAP can be revoked if they:

  • are no longer a body corporate registered under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006
  • are placed under Special Administration or liquidation

Additionally, an area within the RAPs boundaries can be revoked if a native title holder or Traditional Owner group is registered for that area.

The revocation of registration of a RAP does not impact on statutory decisions made by that RAP whilst it was registered.

De-registered RAPs

More information

Visit the our current Registered Aboriginal Parties page.

Reviewed 12 August 2019

Aboriginal Heritage Council

Was this page helpful?