The Council is unique in Victoria as a statutory body with all members being Victorian Traditional Owners. The work that Council undertakes moves the Victorian community towards a place of understanding and respect for Aboriginal cultural heritage and ensures the responsibility for this heritage sits with Traditional Owners.
The responsibilities of Council include:
- being the central coordinating body responsible for Ancestral Remains in Victoria
- providing advice to the Ministers for Aboriginal Affairs and Planning
- providing advice to the Secretary of the Department of Premier and Cabinet
- determining applications from Traditional Owner groups seeking to become Registered Aboriginal Parties
- promoting public awareness and understanding of Aboriginal cultural heritage
- managing the Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Fund
- facilitating research into Aboriginal cultural heritage in Victoria
Victorian Traditional Owners who are resident in Victoria, have extensive knowledge of Aboriginal cultural heritage and time to commit to Council duties are encouraged to apply.
I am proud of what Council has done over the last decade to empower Traditional Owners and resolve the injustice to our people by appointing Registered Aboriginal Parties as custodians and managers of their cultural heritage.
Now calling for expressions of interest
Victorian Traditional Owners are invited to apply for positions on the Victorian Aboriginal Heritage Council. Please download your form below and submit it via the email address below before 5pm, Monday 16 March 2020.
Appointments to the Council are ministerial appointments made by the Minister for Aboriginal Affairs, the Hon. Gavin Jennings.
Reviewed 23 January 2020