On 26 August 2020, The Victorian Aboriginal Heritage Council received a request from the Wurundjeri Woiwurrung Cultural Heritage Aboriginal Corporation, for a boundary variation for the area shown on this map.
If the boundary is varied over the application area, the applicant will be responsible for making key decisions about cultural heritage protection and management under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006 (Vic).
In determining whether to grant this application, Council will consider:
- The overall scheme and purposes of the Act and whether the proposed alteration of a Registered Aboriginal Party (RAP) registration area will enhance the ability of relevant Traditional Owners in their ability to protect and manage their Aboriginal cultural heritage
- Whether the applicant has traditional or familial links to the area
- Whether the applicant has historical or contemporary interests in and expertise in the management of Aboriginal cultural heritage in the area
- The consent of the applicant RAP and any existing RAPs in the application area
- Objections of any party whose legitimate interests may be adversely affected if a decision were made to vary the applicant’s area of registration
- The human rights implications of the decision with regard to the distinct cultural rights of Aboriginal persons as recognised in s 19(2)(d) of the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006 (Vic)
- Any other relevant matter.
The Council invites written comments on this application, which can be sent to:
- Office of the Victorian Aboriginal Heritage Council Level 3,
3 Treasury Place,
East Melbourne Vic 3002
The applicant will be advised of comments received.
Reviewed 04 March 2022