- Friday, 13 August 2021 at 12:43 am
About the film
As part of the process of colonisation, Aboriginal peoples’ burial places were desecrated in the name of curiosity, science and research.
Aboriginal Ancestors were stolen from their land where they had been placed with care and ceremony, to be housed in metal boxes as specimens or ornaments of curiosity by individuals, families and institutions.
The 1980's saw Aboriginal Ancestors start to return to rest on Country. But the journey is by no means complete and there are many more of our Ancestors still to come home. We can all walk together and help in this essential work.
Returning our Ancestors is a documentary, sharing some of this difficult but healing journey. The film was made by the Victorian Aboriginal Heritage Council, with the contribution of stories from Victorian Traditional Owners and others.
Returning our Ancestors shows us what we can do as a Victorian community to work together for the rightful and respectful return and protection of Aboriginal Ancestors, now and into the future.
Attend the Premiere
To join the live stream premiere of the film at 6:30pm on Friday 20 August 2021, click on the live streaming link and fill in your details.
- If you follow these steps before 6pm on Friday 20 August, you’ll receive an email confirming that you have registered.
- As long as you access the link through the same device, the registration page will remember your information. This means you won’t need to fill in your details again when you next click on the link to live stream the event.
- For anyone that accesses the above link from 6pm onwards on Friday 20 August, you will be directed straight to the live streaming page.
- Please note the event formally commences at 6:30pm. However, we encourage you to click on this link at least 5 minutes beforehand to troubleshoot any technical difficulties and to avoid missing the start of the event.
- If you have any questions, please contact us at VAHC.firstname.lastname@example.org
So that we can provide an uncompromised web viewing experience, attendance at the livestream premiere is limited.
If you are unable to register, it means that we have reached the livestream capacity. However, the film will be available for free through our website from Saturday 21 August 2021.